Saturday, May 31, 2008

Pillow Case Dress - Simple and Sweet

I have been wanting to try out this cute little dress for my 2 1/2 year old daughter. I have seen it online but not in person, so I thought I would take a stab at making one. It is a simple pattern that I found in a variety of places on the internet. I took those directions and did a little improvising of my own and came up with the sweetest little slip-dress. It can be modified for a variety of ages and sizes - it is so versatile.

It's called a pillow case dress because people would make them out of old or vintage pillow cases. I used regular fabric because I did not have any pillow cases in good enough shape to use! The top shoulder area has ribbon so you can adjust the dress to your needs. I think it turned out so cute! Sarah had it on last night and she did not want to take it off. A true fashionista in the making...

It was very simple to make and even a beginner could do it. I will be teaching a class at Sew to Speak here in the Columbus (Clintonville) so if you are interested in taking it, please call or stop by the shop. 4610 N High St or 614-267-3011.

Here are some of the websites that I used to gather info on making it:
http://www.everythingsewing.net/pillowcase_dress_how_to.htm
http://www.andersonsplace.net/sewing/pillow_case_dress.htm
http://www.jenleheny.com/pillowcase-dress-instructions

There are so many talented people out there!!

Visit the North Market this Sunday June 1 for Artisan Sundays. Stop by and say hi... I will be selling!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

April Rhodes said...

hey michelle, adorable dress! i saw it hanging in the shoppe yesterday. It's beautiful on the hanger and looks even cuter on little sarah. i saw a very similar pillowcase dress at Target in the girls dept. but yours takes the cake, with great fabric, ribbion and pom-poms! not to mention handcrafted! --see ya soon!--
april (sew to speak groupie)

babygees said...

thank you!! I love to hear these comments. It keeps me sewing!

:)

Amanda said...

I just was in the store for the first time today and I saw your dress hanging there. Too Cute! I am going to try to whip one up for my daughter. I think I may use your tip of just using fabric. All of the pillowcases I have on hand are just plain and ugly. But, I do have cute fabric I could use! Check out my Blog when you have some time... www.ForYourPeanut.com I love to connect with other sewing mommies!

Anonymous said...

It was certainly interesting for me to read this article. Thank you for it. I like such topics and everything connected to them. I definitely want to read more soon.