Monday, March 12, 2012

Sewing for Kids

I am often asked..."when is a good age to start my child sewing?"  The answer is really dependent on the child but I had to set an age for my classes and I chose 8.  Some kids are ready at this age while others are not.  The fine motor skills required for cutting and hand sewing are starting to refine at this age.  The machine sewing is a bit more intimidating but 8 seems to be a good age where they get the concept of the basics.  There are alot of steps to sewing and seeing as I have been doing it awhile, I forget that all the steps are sometimes hard to remember.   Putting the presser foot down is a big one that is often forgotten by kids and adults alike.  But if you think your child is ready and they show an interest in learning how to sew... I offer a few options: 

Sew to Speak - Kid's Drawstring Bag:  cost $30 Wed, April 25 from 6-8pm. 

Whetstone Community Center - Sewing for Kids:  $40 (Limit 6) This is a 3 week class (March 19, 26 and April 2) from 6-7:30pm that will introduce your child to machine sewing. We will make 3 projects: a pin cushion, a zipper pouch and a headband. All materials are included but you are welcome to bring your own fabric and tools (i.e. scissors) if you like. class # 11233

No comments: